Thursday, May 6, 2010

first post

I've loved dollshouses since I was a little girl. I had a couple back then, in the late 60s and early 70s, but I grew up and life got in the way, and I didn't think about them much till the late 1990s.
I started off as a grown-up, by making myself a witches' kitchen, complete with cauldron and broomstick. Not long after that, I spotted a Dollshouse and Miniature Scene magazine in the newsagency, and I was entranced!
I'd had no idea that 'real' artisans and craftsmen made miniatures, nor that a dollshouse could be so perfect that you had to look hard before you realised it wasn't someones' actual home!
I eventually was given a beaten-up old ply house, and spent many happy hours fiddling around with it, but with no real clue what I was doing.
When the Del Prado part series came out, I collected it, and built the house, but then got busy with two other 'miniature' projects -- my babies, Kate and Jack.
The houses went into the shed, the furnishings into plastic tubs. Eventually I gave the houses away, and now am waiting till I have the room to start again.

I have BIG dreams.
If I won Lotto, I would want a Mackintosh house, like this one.
I would like to have an American Hamptons Beach style house, an early Australian cottage, a modern apartment, a series of 3 room boxes showing a bedsit in 3 different eras.... LOTS of ideas.

And one day, if I'm very very lucky, I may yet get my dream houses!

3 comments:

  1. Del Prado was my first adult dollhouse too:))) But I gave it to my daughters, and after few years my husband built by himself dollhouse designed by us.
    Kisses from Poland:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony... A new blog in town :0) Look forward to see what you´ll reveal... And thanks for following and linking Obsidian Hall!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Toni...
    I came over to Chick Chat tonight to comment on your post that I saw pop up earlier today but is now gone...I have lots to say on the topic from personal experience! I too have written similar posts and removed them in the past!

    But then, I found your other blogs. This stuff is gorgeous! I am kind of fond of miniatures too. I've never made or collected any; I think it just appeals to my OCD really.
    But have you seen this? This BLEW MY SOCKS OFF:
    http://madshobbithole.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/my-hand-made-hobbit-hole-bag-end-from-lord-of-the-rings/

    Also, about 10 years ago I was lucky enough to see this at Windsor Castle:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mary%27s_Dolls%27_House

    I have a video (video!!) showing all the rooms and features and how they made it all. Man I wish I hadn't left it in storage in Australia. I'd send it to you.

    Jade.
    http://jadeluxe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I LOVE compliments *hint*